Saturday, August 14, 2010

the nanny diaries

i recently read this book, since i have so much free time on my hands lately. i'm sure i'm the last person on earth to read this, but i never really felt the need, since i lived it. turns out, the book is NOT fiction. although i did not have all of these experiences in my one year of being a nanny, i've heard my share of horror stories. this book was a collection of every problem a nanny could encounter. i enjoyed it, but, i also had a LOT of anxiety while reading it. i felt for Nanny, i felt Grayer, i felt for the mother, and so on. i started having nightmares all over again (something that happened frequently during my stint in CT). waking up mid-night wondering if i had done everything on my list, confirmed that appointment, planned meals for the next day, etc.

the most ironic part of the novel was right in the middle of the climax when Nanny is ranting to a stuffed bear-my phone rang, and when i answered, discovered it was my replacement. the new nanny. just as all my memories had come flooding back, i was telling someone new about the job she was about the undertake. it only took a few minutes to relax, and then i was able to tell her all the wonderful things about living with my pseudo-family in greenwich, ct!

No comments: