Monday, January 14, 2008

proportions



i wasn't planning on writing about this, mainly because it means i have to publicly admit (and announce) how disproportional my body is, but due to recent events, i just have to get it off my chest.
over christmas, my family got into a discussion about how the length of you arms is supposed to be equal to that of your height. we decided to see if this was the case. of course, lindsey was perfect. but she was the only one. my grandpa's arms were way longer and so were mine. but, on top of the lengths being off, i also have another huge problem. as most of you know, i am only 5'2''. but my legs are as long as my brother's (who is 5'9''). to compensate for this fact, i have an unusually small torso.
now that you've got the background, let me tell you what happened today. in my humanities class, we are studying ancient egypt. we were discussing a statue of the pharaoh chephren , you may recognize him as the commissioner of the sphinx.
my teacher was saying that the artist made chephren disproportional in order to better preserve it. does it look disproportionate to you? apparently his upper arms are elongated so that his lower arms could rest on his legs and not get damaged over time. she asked us all to try having our arms lay flat on our legs. i sat up straight and put my arms down, and guess what, i was the spitting image of chephren. the combination of having longer arms than a normal person and a shorter torso sealed the deal. so i make this suggestion; maybe i'm not the only one in the world who is disproportional. couldn't chephren have been the same?

2 comments:

Kylie said...

I'm sorry that you are disproportionate but this made me laugh. You are funny!

natalie said...

haha you're too funny. I don't think you have to worry- there is no "norm" in this life. And about your brother-- girls have longer legs than guys, it's normal to be a few inches shorter but have the same waist.